Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Nevada Day!



Today is Nevada Day! Today I don't have to go to school. Nevada was admitted to the union on October 31, 1864, during the Civil War, which is why it says "Battle Born" on the state flag.

Nevada Day is celebrated the Friday before the 31st cuz its always fun to get a day off from school!

I don't remember the lyrics to the state song, but I found them on the internet and wrote them all below. The state song is called "Home Means Nevada."

Way out in the land of the setting sun,
Where the wind blows wild and free,
There's a lovely spot, just the only one
That means home sweet home to me.
If you follow the old Kit Carson trail,
Until desert meets the hills,
Oh you certainly will agree with me,
It's the place of a thousand thrills.
Home means Nevada
Home means the hills,
Home means the sage and the pine.
Out by the Truckee, silvery rills,
Out where the sun always shines,
Here is the land which I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see.
Deep in the heart of the golden west
Home means Nevada to me.
Whenever the sun at the close of day,
Colors all the western sky,
Oh my heart returns to the desert grey
And the mountains tow'ring high.
Where the moon beams play in shadowed glen,
With the spotted fawn and doe,
All the live long night until morning light,
Is the loveliest place I know.
Home means Nevada
Home means the hills,
Home means the sage and the pines.
Out by the Truckee's silvery rills,
Out where the sun always shines,
There is the land that I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see.
Right in the heart of the golden west
Home means Nevada to me.

It was written by someone named Bertha Raffetto, who obviously never visited Las Vegas, because Las Vegas isn't anywhere in the lyrics.

Today all the adults are too busy arguing over two people whose names are Sharron Angle and Harry Reid to notice that today is the state's admission day. How sad.

Well, there is a parade and a Powwow in Carson City, at least!

1 comment:

  1. That is such a kewl thing to know and celebrate .. now I have to look up some information on my state so that I know if we have an Oregon Day.

    You have such awesome posts .. good going

    Ta Ta,
    Kelsyee

    ReplyDelete